Cats are becoming the pet of choice and the number of cat owners is increasing at a faster rate than the number of dog owners. Animal Hospital of Statesville is a certified Cat Friendly Practice. We evaluated all aspects of our practice from a cat's perspective to create a more positive experience for our feline patients.
CATS ARE LESS LIKELY TO VISIT THE VETERINARIAN THAN DOGS
- 41% of cat owners visit the veterinarian only for vaccinations.
- 39% of cat owners say they would only take their cat to the veterinarian if they were sick.
- 60% of cat owners report that their cat hates going to the veterinarian.
- 38% of cat owners report they get stressed just thinking about bringing their cat to the veterinarian.
- Cats do not like the carrier and traveling to the practice.
- Pet owners are stressed by getting the cat into the carrier and transporting an anxious cat.
- Some cat owners feel practices may not be aware of how to handle fearful or stressed cats.
THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF FELINE PRACTITIONERS (AAFP) OFFERS THE CAT FRIENDLY PRACTICE PROGRAM:
- Practices need to understand cats and their distinct needs.
- Practices need to provide an atmosphere that allows for a positive visit.
CAT FRIENDLY PRACTICES ELEVATE HEALTHCARE:
• Staff Training & Education About Cats
• Physical Design & Environment
• Appropriate Equipment to Meet Feline Needs
• The “Cat Advocate”
THE RIGHT STAFF: (CAT FRIENDLY PRACTICE STAFF)
- Understand cat owners and the challenges of transporting cats.
- Are familiar with cats and can take note of the behavior.
- Know how to handle cats.
- Are familiar with “cat friendly” techniques
- Are interested in the best wellness and preventive care for your cat
STAFF IS READY, WILLING AND ABLE TO ASSIST:
Our Staff Will:
Advise cat owners on the most appropriate way to transport the cat to the practice.
Help cats and owners have a positive visit.
Provide a warm, friendly welcome upon arrival.
Exhibit good cat handling techniques.
Provide timely, detailed patient updates.
Enroll in continuing education courses.
Our Physical Environment Has Cats In Mind
A Cat Friendly Practice has a different look and feel to accommodate the cat’s distinct needs.
THE EXAMINATION ROOM
- Clean and hygienic
- Safe and spacious
WELL EQUIPPED FOR CATS
- Essential equipment appropriate for feline use.
- A thorough consultation process allowing time for cat to become acclimated.
- Ability to hospitalize cats in a comfortable setting to meet their unique needs.
We love cats as much as you do, that is why we are a Cat Friendly Practice.
WE INVITE YOU TO:
- Tour our practice.
- Speak to our staff.
- See for yourself that Cat Friendly Practices can make a difference in the practice experience and health of your cat.