Bear is a 14-year-old small terrier mix. Bear presented for debilitation of the rear end. Bear was having trouble getting up. He was painful and unable to use his left hind leg well. Bear’s owner was concerned about his advanced age and poor quality of life. A set of radiographs confirmed arthritis in the left stifle or knee. Some spinal inflammation was suspected as well. Bear was started on a trial of Galliprant. Galliprant is a newer non-steroidal anti-inflammatory with a very large safety margin. This medication inhibits inflammation and pain at the level of the diseased joints. Galliprant does not have the side effects such as stomach ulcers and liver and kidney problems that other traditional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents can have. After a few weeks, Bear was doing great - getting up and moving around outside very well. Bear’s owners were very pleased, as his quality of life was helped immensely. Bear is a special little dog and it is hoped he continues to do well as our canine Pet of the Month.
Feline Pet of the Month
Skittles is a beautiful, 7-year-old kitty. She had been drooling for a couple of days and her owners brought her in to be examined. There are multiple causes of drooling- from dental disease, systemic disease (such as kidneys), dietary indiscretion, trauma or more. On physical exam we could see that her tongue was lacerated near the tip. It was inflamed and infected. Cats use their tongues for eating, drinking and grooming. When their tongue is injured, this can affect them immensely. Skittles was still able to eat, but was in a lot of pain and not wanting to groom herself (understandably)! We treated Skittles with an antibiotic, pain medication and gave her some fluids for hydration. She made a full recovery! On her 2-week follow-up, her tongue was almost completely healed with only a small scar remaining. Earlier, her owners found a chewed up ribbon with some blood on it at home that they believe was the cause of her injury. Cats are very curious creatures and love to play with strings of any kind. This can be very dangerous as we have seen this wrapped around their tongues, or causing intestinal issues when ingested and now, injuries to the mouth/tongue as well. We are thankful Skittles has recovered well and is back to grooming herself and playing with her brother! We are happy to have her as our feline Pet of the Month!